VANCOUVER EASTSIDE MISSING WOMEN

CONTENTS

HOME

GUESTBOOK

1st GUESTBOOK

NEWS UPDATES

CONTACT US

             
                         

Pickton trial to be delayed two weeks

LORI CULBERT
Vancouver Sun

Monday, December 18, 2006

Robert (Willie) Picktonís high-profile serial-murder trial, which is scheduled to begin in January, will be delayed by two weeks.

Justice James Williams assembled the jurors in New Westminster Supreme Court today to inform them that instead of starting Jan. 8, 2007, it will be delayed until Jan. 22.

"I am confident in assuring you that we will start on that date," he told the jurors who showed no visible reaction to the news.

Williams said the delay is the fault of no one in particular, noting that Crown and defence lawyers are dealing with  myriad problems in preparing for the unusually long and complex trial.

Fourteen people - 12 jurors and two alternates - were selected last week to hear the evidence in Picktonís first trial, when he will face allegations he killed six women.

The 14-member panel was assembled today in court so Williams could tell them directly about the trial delay, adding he did not want them to hear the information first from the news media.

Pickton, a former Port Coquitlam pig farmer, was not in the courtroom but was watching the proceedings via video-link to the pre-trial centre where he has been held since his arrest nearly five years ago.

Pickton has pleaded not guilty to the first-degree murders of Sereena Abotsway, Mona Wilson, Andrea Joesbury, Georgina Papin, Brenda Wolfe and Marnie Frey.

He is to face a second trial in connection with the first-degree murder of 20 additional women at a later date yet to be determined.

lculbert@png.canwest.com

© Vancouver Sun 2006

 

Email: wleng#missingpeople.net 

Missing Women Tip Line: 1-877-687-3377

Updated: August 21, 2016