VANCOUVER EASTSIDE MISSING WOMEN
Woman says B.C. police pressuring her to help in Pickton case
Last Updated Thu, 21 Mar 2002 23:05:08
VANCOUVER - A friend of the suspect at the centre of the missing women case in B.C. says she's in hiding as police try to pressure her into helping them with their murder investigation.
Dinah Taylor told CBC Radio Thursday that she laughed recently when she heard rumours identifying her as one of the dozens of people who vanished.
Taylor said she's moved to some place outside of the province, and has refused to help investigators.
She also continues to defend the man charged with two counts of first-degree murder, Robert William Pickton, who was arrested on his farm near Vancouver earlier this year.
Friends of Taylor's have said they have reason to believe that she may have set Pickton up with prostitutes, and at least two of the missing women.
Those acquaintances have also told CBC Radio that Taylor lived in the same run-down east Vancouver hotel as some of the missing women, and that she often visited the Pickton farm.
But Taylor said she has nothing to fear and nothing to hide, and that she has rejected police offers of being put in protective custody.
Taylor has also refused a police request to watch a videotape that shows William Pickton being interviewed in jail, she added.
Although Pickton is the only person who has been charged so far, investigators have said they have other suspects, and are looking into the backgrounds of between 80 and 200 people.
Last Sunday, a neighbour of Pickton's told CBC that police have been hounding her for years. Gina Houston said she believes detectives consider her a prime suspect in the case. Houston said they searched her storage locker looking for clues.
Police have been criticized for their handling of the investigation. Some of the missing women on the list disappeared as long ago as 1983, and relatives say if they hadn't been prostitutes and drug addicts the police would have handled the investigation with more urgency.
On Wednesday, detectives promised that they'll soon release more information on their investigation at a pig farm where they fear at least two of the 50 missing Vancouver women were killed.
In the meantime, they're warning the public not to believe everything they've been reading about the case.
RCMP Const. Catherine Galliford accused reporters of spreading rumours and innuendo. "We continue trying to work with the media, the individual reporters, to try and correct them on that information," Galliford said. However, she gave no examples and refused to elaborate on the allegedly false reports.
Investigators also announced their painstaking search of the debris-strewn farm, which they originally said would take months, could take more than a year.
However, the evidence they're turning up is encouraging, a spokesperson for the search team said.
Written by CBC News Online staff
Updated: August 21, 2016