VANCOUVER EASTSIDE MISSING WOMEN

CONTENTS

HOME

GUESTBOOK

1st GUESTBOOK

NEWS UPDATES

CONTACT US

             
                         

Attorney General Press Release

Ministry of Attorney General

Reward And Poster Launched To Help Find Missing Women

July 27, 1999 99:77

VANCOUVER - A poster with photographs of 31 women missing from Vancouver's Downtown Eastside and details of a $100,000 reward were released today by Attorney General Ujjal Dosanjh and Vancouver police board chair Philip Owen.

"The number of women missing without explanation from Vancouver's Downtown Eastside is extremely troubling and warrants these kinds of extraordinary measures," said Dosanjh. "The size of the reward, and the publicity generated by the poster, will help police gather as much information as possible on these cases."

"The women's families and friends, and the entire Downtown Eastside community, need to know what has happened," said Owen. "We're doing everything we can to get answers."

The missing women are sex trade workers, most of whom have disappeared over the past four years. As well as photographs of the missing women, the poster contains their names, birth dates, when they were last seen and when they were reported missing. Specific details of the reward are also provided. The Ministry of Attorney General is contributing 70 per cent of the $100,000 reward with the City of Vancouver contributing the remaining 30 per cent. The ministry is also co-producing the poster with the Vancouver police department.

Vancouver police Chief Terry Blythe agreed the reward will strengthen investigation efforts. "People sometimes feel that the information they have is not useful or relevant. But I encourage anyone who knows anything about the disappearance of any of these women to help us."

John Walsh, host of the Fox Television program "America's Most Wanted," spoke briefly at the news conference and confirmed the case will be profiled on the program.

"I am pleased 'America's Most Wanted' is going to be involved in publicizing the disappearances and the reward through our viewers in the United States and Canada," said Walsh. "'America's Most Wanted' is in Vancouver this week taping segments on the missing women, as well as other Vancouver cases."

The Vancouver police board will pay a reward of up to $100,000 upon the arrest and conviction of a person or persons responsible for unlawfully confining, kidnapping or murdering any one or more of the women listed in the reward poster. Only those people who volunteer information by May 1, 2000, will be eligible for a reward.

The poster, in pdf format for Adobe Acrobat, may be viewed here. Enlarged photos with additional information are available on the Vancouver police Web site at: www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/police on the Internet.

To report information about any of the missing women, call:

In the Vancouver area (604) 717-3415
From anywhere in North America 1-800-993-8799
To remain anonymous (604) 669-TIPS

- 30 -

General Media Enquiries:
Kate Thompson
Ministry of Attorney General
Victoria (250) 387-5008

  Book chronicles disappearances-Nov 25, 2001

 

Email: wleng#missingpeople.net 

Missing Women Tip Line: 1-877-687-3377

Updated: August 21, 2016