many painful lessons learned on the long and
slow path that led to Robert Pickton's arrest
and conviction, this may be the saddest:
where another serial killer is preying on women,
sex trade workers are voluntarily giving police
samples of their DNA so their bodies can be more
quickly identified if they're killed.
The discovery of
human remains at the Pickton pig farm in Port
Coquitlam, B.C., hit home for many. "It was a
war zone out there at the Pickton farm," said
Carol-Lynn Strachan, a sex-trade worker and
advocate in Edmonton.
"There are war
zones still all over cities in the west. Killing
fields where women's bodies are found."
Since 1983, the
bodies of 20 women have been found in the
Edmonton area. JoAnn McCartney, a retired vice
cop on the Edmonton police force who now runs a
program to help women who work on the streets,
said the voluntary DNA collection is used only
for identification, not to aid any other police
"It's to identify
you so your family has some closure. And the
faster we can do that, the quicker we can ask
questions about your most recent activities and
start the investigation," she said.
Women involved in prostitution are vulnerable,
vulnerable to be murdered."
conviction brought little solace to families of
his other alleged victims. Ottawa resident Pam
Eyre started a petition on New Year's Eve urging
B.C.'s attorney general to go ahead with a
second trial against Pickton for the murders of
20 other women. Families of some of those women
worry his conviction last month in the deaths of
six women may persuade the Crown to drop the
next set of charges. "A second trial should go
on, we still need answers," said Marilyn Kraft,
the stepmother of Cindy Feliks, one of the other
20 women. The petition has received 400
signatures in less than a week.
Geoff Gaul, a
spokesperson for the Criminal Justice branch in
B.C., said the trial is proceeding.
"What happens in
the future remains to be seen. Right now, this
is an active court case," he said yesterday.
Pickton is scheduled to appear in B.C. Supreme
Court Jan. 24 so a date can be set for the
of women go missing every year.
Thomas Svekla, a 39-year-old former tire store
worker, was charged with two counts of
second-degree murder in the deaths of Theresa
Innes and Rachel Quinney. But that has provided
little reassurance to women who work on the
streets. Police believe more than one person is
responsible for the murders.
police are probing 16 homicides involving women
who either worked in the sex trade or may have
been mistaken for sex-trade workers by their
Columbia, 18 women have gone missing or been
found dead along a stretch of Yellowhead Highway
16 now known as the Highway of Tears. In some
cases, the disappearances date back to 1969.
Last October, RCMP said they've expanded the
list of women missing and broadened the area
where a killer may be picking up victims.
conviction, Tony Romeyn, a Prince George
businessman who runs a website dedicated to the
Highway of Tears victims has been getting more
emails. "There is greater awareness that if more
and more people get talking to each other, we
may find answers," he said.
Gloria Enns, the program manager at Sage House,
a resource and outreach centre for sex-trade
workers, said despite the publicity over
Pickton's verdict, too often women – especially
native women – can go missing and their
disappearances barely register.
"The sad thing is
we can predict many of the deaths and
disappearances," she said. "The reality is we
may have a dozen or two dozen Picktons running
around Winnipeg. He was just one guy. There are
others out there and that's something we know
© Copyright Toronto Star
Trade Workers of Canada
have my sisters gone?
Hazel8500 Maps (A Work In Progress)
Highway of Tears
Victims Of Robert Pickton
Edmonton's murdered women
Time Crime - Edmonton murders
and Murdered Women
- Joshua Tree
"Willie" Pickton should stand trial
for remaining 20 murder charges he
Published by Pam
Eyre on Jan 01, 2008
Westminster, BC Crown
Prosecutors/Attorney-General Wally Oppal
On February 22,
2002, Robert Pickton was charged with the
first two of what would eventually become 26
First-degree murder charges.
These charges were for the murders of Serena
Abotsway and Mona Wilson. On December 9,
2007 Robert Pickton was convicted of six
counts of second-degree murder for killing
or having a hand in killing Sereena Abotsway,
Mona Wilson, Andrea Joesbury, Brenda Ann
Wolfe, Georgina Faith Papin and Marnie Frey.
As of December 10, 2007 neither the Crown
nor Attorney-General Wally Oppal have
determined if Robert Pickton would stand
trial for the remaining 20 first-degree
murder charges he faces. The trial date for
the murder of these 20 women is scheduled to
be set on January 17, 2008.
The names of the 20 women Robert Pickton is
charged with killing are:
undersigned, call on the New Westminster, BC
Crown and British Columbia Attorney-General
Wally Oppal to pursue the first-degree
murder trial against Robert Pickton for the
alleged murders of 20 women as scheduled to
begin January 17, 2008.
Each and every woman deserves justice,
society deserves justice and family members
absolutely deserves to see justice done.
There is no other way for the hundreds of
family members to find closure.
Robert Pickton must stand trial so that all
relevant evidence can be properly tested and
so that the families affected may see