Pickton remanded to November 4

Tuesday, June 11, 2002

PORT COQUITLAM - Accused serial killer Robert Pickton has made what may be his last court appearance before a preliminary hearing starts Nov. 4.

The 52-year-old Port Coquitlam pig farmer appeared in provincial court Tuesday on a video link from jail.

Robert Pickton is charged with seven counts of first-degree murder in connection with Vancouver's missing women case. (CP)

He is charged with seven counts of first-degree murder in the disappearances of at least 50 women from Vancouver's downtown eastside.

Unlike previous appearances, defence lawyer Peter Ritchie didn't make extensive arguments about fuller disclosure of evidence before the court.

But later he said he might make further applications depending on what happens between now and the fall hearing.

"As we all know, it's a vastly complicated case,'' he said outside court. "I see that there is going to be a major issue coming up for disclosure here.

"The police investigation is ongoing and so the police do not want to reveal to the defence the nature of the ongoing investigation. But the defence needs to prepare their case so there's going to be a considerable conflict in the way that we resolve that.''

He said defence lawyers so far had received a considerable amount of material from the Crown and have been examining it.

But he suggested it was likely the defence lawyers might have to return to court in early August "to make applications to the court so we can get a ruling as to what we're entitled to for the disclosure.''

Police began searching Pickton's Port Coquitlam farm in February.

Heavy excavation work got under way last week, with the help of 26 archeology students with expertise in the study of human bones.

Most of the missing women were sex trade workers and drug addicts.

 Copyright 2002 Canadian Press



Missing Women Tip Line: 1-877-687-3377

Updated: August 21, 2016