VANCOUVER EASTSIDE MISSING WOMEN

CONTENTS

HOME

GUESTBOOK

1st GUESTBOOK

NEWS UPDATES

CONTACT US

             
                         

Informant in Pickton case fails in bid to claim reward

He says police have reneged on promise to protect his family

Suzanne Fournier
The Province

Thursday, June 26, 2003

A man who gave information to police about Robert Pickton tried yesterday to claim a $100,000 reward in the missing-women murders and was immediately given the brushoff by police.

"I gave them what they needed to go after Mr. Pickton and now I'm homeless, running for my life, and the police won't protect me," said Scott Chubb, who worked for accused serial killer Robert Pickton and his brother Dave starting in 1994.

"I tried to apply for the reward with my police file number, and they told me to get lost. I'm going to get a lawyer to apply for me because it will force the RCMP to admit that I helped them and they promised to keep my family safe."

Chubb provided The Province with 500 pages of transcripts of several lengthy interviews with the RCMP, in which he provides specific information about Robert Pickton and other suspects.

Port Coquitlam RCMP Cpl. Ted Van Overbeek promised Chubb protection during a third interview last Feb. 13.

"We've done this several times before and, uh, we will take care of you . . . we can take care of other things, other needs for you and your family," said Van Overbeek.

"We talked about witness protection before . . . if things were to break . . . you know, helping you out, getting you re-established and that type of thing."

Chubb -- who said he would give the reward money "to the Downtown Eastside working girls" -- says he won't testify at Pickton's trial unless RCMP reinstate witness protection for him and his family.

He is in hiding near Kamloops.

Chubb says the RCMP offered him witness protection shortly after Robert Pickton was arrested in February 2002: "The RCMP told me to grab my wife and son and jump in a cab immediately, and then they paid for us to live in hotels and then in the country for three months under witness protection -- then the RCMP just kicked us out."

The only formal claimant so far for the reward is Bill Hiscox, who worked for the Pickton brothers in their P & B Salvage business in 1998. Hiscox applied for the reward through his Vancouver lawyer, Michael Mines.

Hiscox called Vancouver police and Surrey RCMP in 1998 to tell them his suspicions about Robert "Willy" Pickton.

An audiotape obtained by The Province confirms that Hiscox told police Willy Pickton frequented the Downtown Eastside, was involved in a 1997 violent incident with a prostitute and had a Port Coquitlam farm where he stored women's identification, clothes and purses. Pickton was charged after the alleged incident in 1997 but the charges were stayed.

Mines said that Hiscox gave police five interviews, one of which was taped, and even visited the farm with Vancouver detectives Al Howlett and Lori Shenher, who headed up the VPD attempt to find missing women.

"This is not really about the money for Bill but about the fact that back in 1998 he did the right thing by going to police," said Mines.

Family members of some of the missing women say they passed along tips about the Pickton pig farm to police that they gleaned when they went looking for their loved ones in the Downtown Eastside.

Lynn Frey from Campbell River, whose stepdaughter Marnie Frey disappeared in 1997, said: "It seems to me the Vancouver Police Board would have to consider the information about the pig farm that was passed along to them by me and by other relatives, a long time ago after Marnie first went missing.

"It's not about the money, which we would use to establish a safe house for women in the Downtown Eastside, but it is about getting the Vancouver police to account for what they did with the information they had."

Police have confirmed that Marnie Frey's remains have been found at the pig farm but no murder charges have been laid against Pickton in connection with her death.

The deadline for applying for the $100,000 reward was extended yesterday to April 30, 2004.

Const. Sarah Bloor said the reward cannot be issued until the case is closed.

Pickton's preliminary hearing on 15 first-degree murder counts resumes Monday for an estimated two weeks.

sfournier@png.canwest.com 

 Copyright  2003 The Province

Courtesy of

B.C. missing women source fears for his life-Mar 13, 2003

Pickton tape given to police in 1998-Apr 25, 2002

 

Email: wleng#missingpeople.net 

Missing Women Tip Line: 1-877-687-3377

Updated: August 21, 2016